Helen Penman has been making fondant cakes for more than 15 years. She designs cakes for Cakes and Sugarcraft magazine and runs her own cake-decorating business, Too Nice to Slice.
Ever more popular, fondant cakes have been featured everywhere, from Martha Stewart Living to TLC's Cake Boss and the Food Network's Ace of Cakes.
Fondant cakes are appearing at children's parties and are the standard for weddings. Home bakers are now learning how to save money by making and decorating their own fondant cakes. Suitable for all skills levels, Fondant Modeling for Cake Decorators is a practical reference to creating too-good-to-eat fondant models for cakes for all occasions.
The book describes essential techniques and materials, and it features recipes for all the essential elements of a fondant cake, such as cake layers, icings and fondant pastes. The 180-page model directory includes step-by-step instructions and unique "exploded" photographs that show individual components and how they fit together.
The selection of cakes includes:
- Wedding and anniversary, such as a bride and groom, valentine
- Holidays and celebrations, such as Easter bunny, fireworks
- Animals, such as crocodile, sheep, grasshopper, dinosaur
- Flowers and fruits, such as roses, fruit bowl, strawberries
- Hobbies and sports, such as musical notes, trophy, swimmer
- Transport and jobs, such as truck, policeman, building site
- Children's themes, such as clown, alien, mermaid, baby rattle.
More than 600 photographs are complemented by thorough explanations of every technique, ensuring exceptional results every time. For the home baker who wants to create spectacular cakes and the experienced decorator looking for new inspiration, Fondant Modeling for Cake Decorators is a must-have resource.