The 456-page Castle Waiting
graphic novel tells the story of an isolated, abandoned castle, and the eccentric inhabitants who bring it back to life. A fable for modern times, Castle Waiting
is a fairy tale that's not about rescuing the princess, saving the kingdom, or fighting the ultimate war between Good and Evil but about being a hero in your own home. The opening story, "The Brambly Hedge," tells the origin of the castle itself, which is abandoned by its princess in a comic twist on "Sleeping Beauty" when she rides off into the sunset with her Prince Charming. The castle becomes a refuge for misfits, outcasts, and others seeking sanctuary, playing host to a lively and colorful cast of characters that inhabits the subsequent stories, including a talking anthropomorphic horse, a mysteriously pregnant Lady on the run, and a bearded nun.
For the first time, Fantagraphics' Castle Waiting
collects the first volume of the Harvey and Eisner Award-winning* comic book series into one hearty hardcover. Linda Medley lavishly illustrates Castle Waiting
in a classic visual style reminiscent of Arthur Rackham and William Heath Robinson. Blending elements from a variety of sourcesfairy tales, folklore, nursery rhymesMedley tells the story of the everyday lives of fantastic characters with humor, intelligence, and insight into human nature. Castle Waiting
can be read on multiple levels and can be enjoyed by readers of all ages.
- 2007 Eisner Award nominee: Best Graphic Album Reprint, Best Publication Design (Adam Grano)
- 2007 Harvey Award nominee: Best Graphic Album Previously Published
- Official Selection, 2008 Festival International de la Bande Desinee de Angouleme (French edition)
- "20 Essential Albums for Summer 2008," lAssociation des Critiques de Bandes Dessinees (French edition)
- Finalist, Prix de la Critique 2008, lAssociation des Critiques de Bandes Dessinees (French edition)