What Hath TR Wrought?
“I don’t think that any harm comes from the concentration of power in one man’s hands.” —Theodore Roosevelt
The notion that Theodore Roosevelt was one of America’s greatest presidents is literally carved in stone—right up there on Mount Rushmore. But as historian Jim Powell shows in the refreshingly original Bully Boy, Roosevelt’s toothy grin, outsized personality, colossal energy, and fascinating life story have obscured what he actually did as president.
And what Roosevelt did severely damaged the United States.
Until now, no historian has thoroughly rebutted the adulation so widely accorded to TR. Powell digs beneath the surface to expose the harm Roosevelt did to the country in his own era. More important, he examines the lasting consequences of Roosevelt’s actions—the legacies of big government, expanded presidential power, and foreign interventionism that plague us today.
Bully Boy reveals:
• How Roosevelt, the celebrated “trust-buster,” actually promoted monopolies
• How this self-proclaimed champion of conservation caused untold environmental destruction
• How TR expanded presidential power and brought us big government
• How he heralded in the era of government regulation, handicapping employers, destroying jobs, and harming consumers
• How he established the dangerous precedent of pushing America into other people’s wars even when our own national interests aren’t at stake
• How this crusader for “pure food” launched loony campaigns against margarine, corn syrup, and Coca-Cola
• How Roosevelt inspired the campaign to enact a federal income tax that was supposedly a tax on the rich but became a people’s tax
Bully Boy is both a groundbreaking look at a pivotal time in America’s history and a powerful explanation of how so many of our modern troubles began.
From the Hardcover edition.
Jim Powell is the author of Wilson’s War, FDR’s Folly, and The Triumph of Liberty. Currently the R. C. Hoiles Senior Fellow at the Cato Institute, he has written for the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, American Heritage, Barron’s, Esquire, the Chicago Tribune, and numerous other publications. He lives in Connecticut with his family.
From the Hardcover edition.
This item will be delivered to you via USPS Trackable Media Mail or UPS Mail Innovations and will take from 2 days to 3 weeks from the time the item leaves our warehouse. *
Items must be returned in new or unused condition and contain all original materials included with the shipment. More details
FINAL SALE EXCLUSION: Items marked as FINAL SALE are not returnable unless the problem you experience is the result of our error.
* For your protection, all orders are screened for security purposes. If your order is selected for review, our Loss Prevention Team may contact you by phone or email. There may be a two business day delay to process your order.
** Most Oversize orders are delivered within 1-4 weeks. Some orders may take 6 weeks to be delivered.