Brevertonís Nautical Curiosities is about ships, people and the sea. However, unlike many other nautical compendiums, this lavishly illustrated book focuses on the unusual, the overlooked, or the downright extraordinary. Thus, someo......more
Brevertonís Nautical Curiosities is about ships, people and the sea. However, unlike many other nautical compendiums, this lavishly illustrated book focuses on the unusual, the overlooked, or the downright extraordinary. Thus, someone most of us do not know, Admiral William Brown, is given equal coverage to Admiral Nelson. Without Admiral Brown releasing Garibaldi, modern Italy might not exist. And without the barely known genius John Ericsson designing the Monitor, the Confederacy might have won the American Civil War. Readers will be stimulated to read more about the remarkable men?explorers, admirals, and trawlermen?who have shaped our world.
Comprising bite-sized nuggets of information ideal for casual browsing, and placement in oneís cottage, yacht, or home as a conversation piece, this book is arranged in thematic chapters that cover:
* The ocean environment?animals, geography, geology, weather, coasts, islands
* Ship types and parts?from the first boat to the latest cutting-edge technology
* People?heroes, heroines, pirates, sailors, captains
* Disasters, battles, wars
* Literature?stories, myths, legends, proclamations, acts, orders
* Nautical sayings and slang?including the origins of ?hit the deck,Ē ?donít rock the boat,Ē and other sayings
Terry Breverton is the author of numerous books on the sea and pirates, including The Pirate Dictionary, The Pirate Handbook, and Black Bart Roberts: The Greatest Pirate of Them All, A five-time recipient of the Welsh Books Councilís Book of the Month award, he has presented documentaries on the Discovery Channel and the History Channel, and has appeared on numerous other television programs on pirates and privateers. He lives in the United Kingdom.
This item will be delivered to you via USPS Trackable Media Mail or UPS Mail Innovations and will take from 2 days to 3 weeks from the time the item leaves our warehouse. *
Items must be returned in new or unused condition and contain all original materials included with the shipment. More details
FINAL SALE EXCLUSION: Items marked as FINAL SALE are not returnable unless the problem you experience is the result of our error.
* For your safety, some orders go through our loss prevention department. If we select your order for this process, we will immediately notify you that there may be up to a 3-day delay on your order.
** Most Oversize orders are delivered within 1-4 weeks. Some orders may take 6 weeks to be delivered.