Tiffany Collins is design director for Southern Living magazine, and has developed and been the spokesperson for the Dillard's and Southern Living Home Design Seminar. She spent six seasons as the foods and entertaining specialist with the Southern Living Cooking School. A spokesperson for and contributing editor to Cooking Light, Southern Living and Coastal Living magazines, she lives in Austin, Texas.
The fresh, robust flavors of Italian grilled sandwiches.
A panini is an Italian-inspired pressed sandwich enjoyed throughout Italy and, increasingly, in North American cafes, restaurants and kitchens. Italians regard panini as fast food thanks to its easy preparation, which also accounts for its success in North America. Sales of panini makers have skyrocketed, with small appliance manufacturers releasing new models each year.
Tiffany Collins provides great recipes that replicate the bistro experience and maximize the use of a home panini maker. Among the recipes for this vibrant, flavorful food are:
- Salami, prosciutto, mozzarella panini with roasted red peppers; Philly cheesesteak panini
- Bacon, spinach and hard-boiled egg panini; smoked salmon, red onion, cream cheese and caper panini
- Sweet Italian sausage, provolone and tomato sauce panini; hummus, red onion and Swiss cheese panini
- Pulled pork panini; Tuscan tuna and white bean panini; shrimp club panini
- Cuban panini; smores panini; sliced beef, caramelized onions and gorgonzola panini
- Smoked turkey, brie and Granny Smith apple panini; south of the border turkey panini with perfect guacamole.
This Italian tradition can now be experienced at home and enjoyed by the whole family.